I was amazed by this bioluminescent phenomena in Australia so I tried to mimic it in Houdini, nothing complex it's just a:
- flip simulation.
- velocity triggered particles.
- transfer flip v to the created particles.
- Making sure no particle escape the water surface (sth like WW but it didn't work for this effect so I created a pop system instead).
- Shading and look development took the most time here, it went through a couple of tweaks and render tests to get the right scale, glitter randomness and density.
Also I transferred the particles color to the water so it will give a nice Fresnel glow effect near the particles.
- rendered with redshift.
- Houdini 19.5 since I used sop based flip sim, it's easier to work it this way.