Rose Making of:
Hey everyone, I would like to take the opportunity here and post the Rose making of. It has two sides math side and an artistic one.
It was somehow a challenging design where I had to understand and study some math then transform it into sth beautiful.
I hope you find the info here helpful, so let's get started.
First let's define some terms, this design is based on Vogel phyllotaxy formula and simply phyllotaxy means the arrangement of leaves on an axis or stem. This formula has two models a palaner and cylindrical, we are interested in the first one which has the following equation: ϕ=n*137.5, r=c*√n
I recommend that you check this paper where you can find a detailed description of each variable: here
This would look like this when we use it in TP : [r*sqrt(n)*cos(n*a),r*sqrt(n)*sin(n*a),0]
I wanna thank Sergey Movchan that put me on the right track and shared his TP setup : Download
I started with his setup and added some curves to controll the radius, size and z pos (TP6) : Download
you can see in the video this setup in action (it's not a flower yet):
The next step is to replace those balls with flower petals, and those petals has a morphing animation which will be controlled by TP in terms of position, alignment and animation timing
It was a bit hard to make a perfect petal arrangement so you can see in the video some petal intersecting. The main two points in this stage is first I used an animated float to activate a timer that will control the gradual morph animation second I animated the rotaion (alignment) inside TP because appatently Instance shape in TP builds an adaptive bounding box for the picked geometry which doesn't rotate (in case the picked object has rotation animation) so since I'm play with the scale this will cause me a distortion issure.
The water drops were placed using simple surface position with a curve to control the size, big petals will have larger drops.
Next step now would be how to make beautifull, I used Vray for rendering so first I unwrapped the petals and tweaked a texture in photoshop to match it. here you better isolate one petal and set a test lighting and start developing the look and the feel gradually. The petal characteristics include rough surface, light displacement, thin and with some translucency so I tweaked those parameters as you can see here.
And to make the translucency effect more pronounced I had to make the back lighting stronger and I relied on global environment light to fill the dark foreground, note that I had to raise the back light samples to 64 to reduce noise and to make the rendering faster because this way vray will use less samples in the adaptive image sampler. It's almost done but I felt it still lacks sth, the flower was floating weirdly in the middle so adding a water surface seemed to be a good idea which is a simple plane with a ripple modifier.
Finally to atchive that dreamy look we have to do two things a shallow DOF and a bloom effect using vray frame buffer lens effects.
Achieving a noise free DOF is sth expensive you have to crank up the samples (10/50 in my case)
I used Irradiance map as a primary GI engine and LC for the secondary one. Caustics, DOF and GI environment were enabled.
If you have any question plz feel free to comment or email me I will be glad to help.
Alaa Alnahlawi. ^_^